Hi Friends, There are a few special recipes that we pull out and prepare each year at Christmas time. When we gather with family and friends here are two that we usually make and enjoy sharing.
- Romaine Lettuce – 1/2 medium head, thinly sliced
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach
- Red Cabbage – small wedge, thinly sliced
- 1 Can Water Chestnuts, sliced
- 1 Small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Ounces Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Pkg. Frozen Petite Green Peas, defrosted and well drained
- 1 Red Pepper, for decoration
- 1 Green Pepper, for decoration
- 1 Yellow Pepper, for decoration
- Fresh Parsley
- 1 Cup Light Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt, Plain and Non-fat
- 1/2 tsp Curry Power
Place the sliced Romaine in the bottom of large clear glass bowl. Add a layer of baby spinach, then add sliced cabbage, water chestnuts, red onion, cheese and peas in layers. Mix the dressing in a separate bowl. Spread it over the salad, covering it completely. Decorate the top with a design made from pieces of red, yellow, and green pepper, and parsley. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until time to serve. This salad can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time.
- 2 1/4 cup flour (I use half whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 11/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup white sugar (to roll the cookies in before baking)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cream brown sugar and butter. Add the egg and mix. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until thoroughly blended. Pinch off small amounts of dough and roll into 1 inch diameter balls. Roll each ball in sugar and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, or until tolls are rounded and slightly cracked. Makes 5 dozen cookies.
Pumpkin Bread, Tortilini Soup, Lemon Curd, Zucchini muffins . . . Would you like to see more of my favorite recipes? Visit my Pinterest board!
What is one of your favorite recipes to prepare at holiday time?
Blessings and Merry Christmas!